20 juli 2012

Beyond Mombasa

The film Beyond Mombasa was released in 1956 – the year before Curse of Frankenstein and international breakthrough. It is one of the first where Sir Lee has a proper role, he writes himself in Films of Christopher Lee.

He is a white hunter, Gil Rossi. He and the main character, Matt Campbell, is competing over the same woman, and at the same time leaves for the African jungle to discover an old mine. Matt Cambpell suspects the mine to contain uranium.

I thoroughly enjoy Lee in theese early roles. While he later on sometimes seems a bit constrained in his acting, this is a role of a womanizer and a charmer. He always does those types very easygoing and believable.

I can't help but find it utterly strange that he did not play roles like Casanova at a young age and made his breakthrough in that genre - but instead ended up in the horrorbox.

He always points out that he was too tall. Maybe that is it. I just find it very odd indeed. I don't think the filmindustry really realised his full potential at this time. Perhaps it never did, until he made his "comeback" if one might say so, after the millenium.


3 kommentarer:

  1. Oooh I loved this movie! Considering this and Hound of the Baskervilles, I've never understood WHY he didn't get more romantic lead roles. I personally LIKE tall men. Maybe I'm biased. Haha. I read that the bit at the end with the cliff he did himself. No stuntman. Looked painful. Ouch! Poor Chris!

    SvaraRadera
  2. Yes, indeed poor Chris! :) But it ends kind of promising, with the woman proposing and all. Not very usual in 1956, I would say.

    SvaraRadera
  3. Wonderful films Christopher lee as doing through the years, i love them all.

    SvaraRadera

Hi! Please make a comment! But unsuitable and offending language will make me delete the post. Basta.